[Chart] data-accessor, lens, and Chart

Tim Docker tim at dockerz.net
Fri Jun 21 00:19:44 BST 2013

On 21/06/13 08:05, Ben Gamari wrote:

Sorry I let this drop for so long. Has your opinion on this solidified
in the past few months?

I think it's probably ok, though I do wish lens wasn't such a huge
dependency when we are relying on only very small part of it. It's not just
a large dependency in terms of packages, but also conceptually.

 I'll admit at this rate I'm a bit concerned that this set willjust
bitrot into oblivion unless some sort of timeline for reevaluation is
kept. This is especially true given the GSoC project; it's likely not
too late to rebase the abstract-drawing branch without too much pain.

I think we should do this the other way. Your lens changes were a
relatively small amount of mostly mechanical work were they not? Jan has
already put a couple of weeks work into abstracting the drawing API. Hence
I think we should wait until the abstracted drawing is in the master branch
before we do lenses. This will be I expect, weeks rather than months - Jan
plans to merge the abstracted API before working on the diagrams backend.

Cheers,

Tim