xcode 5 psa info on haskell platform page

Darin Morrison darinmorrison at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 06:36:02 GMT 2013

Mark,

It seems we disagree about the fundamental issues. My stance is the
following:

1) Current and future OS X releases of the HP should be buildable
(including dependencies) on the current OS X release

2) We should avoid OS-specific hacks (like wrappers) and solve the
underlying issues causing breakage

And that's it.

I understand that the HP does not re-build GHC and I understand that GHC,
the HP, etc. need to work on multiple versions of OS X. But I also think
it's possible to achieve portability in a cleaner fashion than relying on
the proposed hacks.

I don't know who makes the decisions about a 7.6.4 release. All I know is
that there's been some discussion about it in private emails and some
discussion on the #ghc IRC channel. As far as I understood, the primary
impetus for such a release would be to provide a proper solution to GHC on
10.9.