xcode 5 psa info on haskell platform page

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 05:32:22 GMT 2013

I don't think we are converging here....

The GHC that we ship with HP 2013.4.0.0:

   - does not need to be buildable on 10.9.
   - must run on both 10.8 and 10.9
   - must work with both Xcode 4 and Code 5
   - preferably needs no static configuration

To the building issue, note that when building HP for Mac OS X, the build
does not re-build GHC, it uses the released OS X installer from GHC
central. Hence, if HP 2013.4.0.0 were based on GHC 7.6.3, you could still
build the HP on 10.9, just not GHC itself. In any event, for the vast
majority of users installing HP are not building GHC... and vice versa.
There is little practical need for the GHC in the next HP to be buildable
on 10.9.

The wrapper script, and twiddling the settings file are fine solutions -
the last several HPs on Mac have used such techniques. I didn't see any
code in the GHC patches I know about that do any dynamic detection of what
compiler is being used. As such, it would seem that it would be awhile
before we saw such a GHC.

To that, I can see no mention on the ghc list of agreement to do a 7.6.4,
hence I don't know what would be in it. Given the above, I don't know what
such a release would buy us.

- Mark
​