xcode 5 psa info on haskell platform page

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 19:36:37 GMT 2013

Lets zoom out:

GHC HQ (with Darin's amazing help), are going to make available a 7.6.4
hotfix release in the next few weeks. Some last details are still underway
for that, but the GHC devs who support OS X seem to all be in agreement
that this matters and has to happen.

GHC 7.6.4 will be the recommended GHC 7.6 variant  for OS X folks, whether
they use haskell platform or not. (for those who don't choose to migrate
7.8 immediately, which will be many, for the usual reasons)

Haskell Platform Fall 2013 is coming soon, and we strongly recommend that
this fall's HP release use this new 7.6.4 GHC, because that will enable
there to be a single haskell platform release that will work on all OS X
variants without an additional burden on Haskell Platform.

Mark, GHC 7.6.4 will exist soon, we are advising you and the HP folks that
GHC HQ can't provide support for the OS X issues on 7.6 without doing a
7.6.4 release.

Speaking as someone who's done A LOT of support helping people deal with
Xcode 5 and OS 10.9 update woes in the past 4+ months, and recognizing that
there *will be people somehere using 10.8 / xcode 4 and then upgrading over
the next few months*, the wrapper approach will break there. Are you
committing to maintaining that wrapper?

much of the clang / gcc handling logic is already in head, so its mostly a
backport of that, and any gaps in the functionality need to be fixed up for
7.8 too!