Proposal: Add-on packs

harry voldermort at hotmail.com
Thu May 30 09:51:25 BST 2013

Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at ...> writes:

> Ah - we're getting somewhere: What I meant was: "If the Gtk2hs team cannot
build a binary release / installer, why do you think the HP team can?"

> Building a binary release installer is no simple task, and very specific
to the needs of a particular project. For Mac and Windows several of us have
invested substantial time to create a system that can produce the Haskell
Platform installers. Even having done it several times, and with it
substantial coding, it is still far from a walk in the park.

> Doing this for the Gtk2hs project would require a significant effort.
Judging from the complexity of the installation instructions for both Gtk2hs
and Gtk, and the fact that the Gtk project itself has never managed to
create such an installer, it would probably require substantially more
effort than we've put into the HP installers.

> To be honest, I've got no magic that can fix the installation problems
that neither Gtk nor Gtk2hs have made any headway in fixing themselves.

So is the consensus that this would be a good idea (assuming that the
included packages met all of the usual requirements for HP inclusion), but
there's a lack of person-power to do it?