Proposal: Add-on packs

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Thu May 30 06:02:03 BST 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's be clear/honest here: It is possible to build Gtk2hs and I'm
>  talking about making a binary release/installer available (where that
> makes sense ie., Windows/OSX).
>
> What isn't likely to work is building it with little expertise or in
> an unconfigured build environment. In other words, it's more than
> simply running the right cabal commands. I've been assuming the HP
> team is more experienced with building packages than the average
> Haskell bear.

Ah - we're getting somewhere: What *I* meant was: "If the Gtk2hs team
cannot *build a binary release / installer,* why do you think the HP team
can?"

Building a binary release installer is no simple task, and very specific to
the needs of a particular project. For Mac and Windows several of us have
invested substantial time to create a system that can produce the Haskell
Platform installers. Even having done it several times, and with it
substantial coding, it is still far from a walk in the park.

Doing this for the Gtk2hs project would require a significant effort.
Judging from the complexity of the installation instructions for both
Gtk2hs and Gtk, and the fact that the Gtk project itself has never managed
to create such an installer, it would probably require substantially more
effort than we've put into the HP installers.

To be honest, I've got no magic that can fix the installation problems that
neither Gtk nor Gtk2hs have made any headway in fixing themselves.

- Mark