Proposal: Add-on packs

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Thu May 30 10:47:38 BST 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM, harry <voldermort at hotmail.com> wrote:

> So is the consensus that this would be a good idea (assuming that the
> included packages met all of the usual requirements for HP inclusion), but
> there's a lack of person-power to do it?

No: at least in my opinion this idea is out of scope for the Haskell
platform project. The purpose of the platform is twofold: to give people a
batteries-included binary Haskell installation, and secondly to select a
group of recommended and "standard" libraries that the community can use as
a common basis. A library has to make it into the second group before we
package it into the binary, and for the kinds of packages you suggest
(wxhaskell, Gtk2hs) I think that "we can build a binary artifact for this
library on all of the operating systems we support" would be a prerequisite
for inclusion. In other words, you're putting the cart before the horse.

The path forward for these kinds of "add-on packs" is exactly as an
"add-on" -- i.e. assumes the existence of the common platform in the
expected place and installs the packages into that installation. If one of
these can't easily be made as a standalone by the upstream project in
question then we have little hope or interest in spending the effort to
package it ourselves.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>