Final word on OpenAL?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 29 05:47:11 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 01:24 +0000, Mikhail Glushenkov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what is the final word regarding inclusion of OpenAL? I for one
> would vote against including it, since it is not essential IMO
> and can be always added later.

> Second, what is the current target release date for 2009.0.0? I'm
> adding some new features to the Windows installer based on
> user feedback, so I'd like to know how much time I have on my
> hands.

I think we should pick a date, and try to stick to it. Hopefully we can
have a Windows installer by then. I expect that we'll miss OSX for the
initial release date but it can follow up along with the distros.

So how about this weekend? Get things working over the weekend and
announce on Monday? We can label it as a beta. But having a fixed list
announced will give the distros something to target.

It'll be 2009.2.0, note the .2.0, not .0.0.

When we're into a steady release cycle we'll be using:
      * $year.1.x for testing pre-releases
      * $year.2.0 for the first major release of the year
      * $year.2.1 for minor bug-fix releases
      * $year.3.x for testing pre-releases
      * $year.4.0 for the second major release of the year
      * $year.4.1 etc, more minor releases

So we should announce 2009.2.0 on Monday and follow up with 2009.2.1
perhaps 4-6 weeks later. In that release we can incorporate feedback on
the installers, and we can update to new minor releases of libs and
probably also ghc-6.10.3.

Duncan