Final word on OpenAL?

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Thu Apr 30 13:17:32 EDT 2009

Am Mittwoch, 29. April 2009 11:46:27 schrieb Duncan Coutts:
> Sven, I don't want to sound like I'm picking on your packages but I
> think we should stick to the current versions for the first release.
> [...] We need to get away from the idea that
> releases should be delayed because of some cool new feature in one or
> two components. [...]

I do not want to delay the initial release, there is still plenty of time
until the release on Monday. And my proposal is not about including "some cool
new features", but about shipping very important bug fixes and some crucial
features I've been asked for ages. Releasing the current versions is a great
recipe to provoke tons of bug reports, whose causes have already been fixed.

> It means we don't constantly need
> to communicate between a few dozen maintainers and release managers on
> when the releases will be. We just have a fixed date and a schedule for
> when packages have to be on Hackage prior to a release. [...]

I can only speak for myself, but the current release schedule was very, very
poorly communicated (i.e. not at all). I don't know if it has been buried in
some Wiki page or in some mailing list I don't know about, but actually I
don't care. I simply do not have the time to poll tons of Wikis and mailing
lists, so some *active* prior notification of the package maintainers about
schedules would have been nice. Today is the first day that I've seen concrete
dates.

> I hope that sounds reasonable.

If there were clearly communicated schedules, yes. Given the current state of
affairs, no.

> We don't want to discourage you or other
> maintainers from polishing your packages, on the contrary.

But it actually *is* discouraging. Immediately when I was aware of the fact
that there might be some initial release "soon", I've packed as much bug fixes
and requested crucial features into my last releases as I could, only to hear
that it is too late (for no good reason).

Cheers,
   S.