[haskell-llvm] Patch to improve configure script for debian.

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Jun 28 00:29:04 EDT 2010

Henning Thielemann:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>
>> I have got two patches, too, that are lingering in Lenart's and Bryan's inbox.  In particular, the one adding GHCi support for the llvm package might be of general interest.
>
> Running LLVM compiled code from within GHCi would be a dream! I could make it work with LLVM-2.5 with some hacks, but could not reproduce that in LLVM-2.6. I assume that your patch is bound to LLVM-2.7, right? What GHCi version do you need? I remember GHCi had problems with linker scripts until recently and thus could not invoke LLVM libraries.

I have only tested it with LLVM 2.7 (2.6 may or may not work).  I used GHC 6.12.1.  It doesn't work with 6.10 (and that is as much an issue with GHCi as with Cabal).  It is not so much about linker scripts, but about the ability to specify different libraries for GHCi and for the commandline linker.  (LLVM creates a single dylib for dynamic linking —which is also used by GHCi— but many individual library archives for static commandline linking.  You might want to try to use the dynamic library in both cases, but that has the disadvantage that AFAIK the dynamic library is built only if the configure option --enable-shared is used during LLVM configure time.)

The patch is in the public repo, you may like to try whether it works for you.

Manuel