[haskell-llvm] haskell-llvm An LLVM backend for DDC

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 08:47:13 EDT 2010

On 24 June 2010 09:02, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+hs at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> However discussing the requirements for DDC with Ben Lippmeier I think
> our needs may actually be better met with David Terei's LLVM interface.

If you decide to use the interface that I wrote then please be aware
there are some design problems with it that you may want to fix up.
The main issue is that I use the Show type class and some functions
for handling printing out the llvm code. This doesn't work that well
since:

1) There is probably some speed to be gained by using something faster
then show for printing.

2) Its fragile. If I was to fix up the binding I wouldn't use a
typeclass for printing at all. The problem is that the binding really
needs to be a little aware of the context when its printing and
support printing in more then one way. Typeclasses aren't really great
for this, they're better when you just need one single way of
printing.

The other problems with the binding probably are that it may not cover
everything you need since its been written specifically for my needs.
I'm not fixing up these problems atm since there is the GSoC project
to replace my binding anyway.