[haskell-llvm] haskell-llvm An LLVM backend for DDC

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Thu Jun 24 04:02:32 EDT 2010

Henning Thielemann wrote:

> Are we talking about David Terei's (GHC related) LLVM interface or the one
> by Lennart Augustsson? As far as I know in the latter one there is
> everything you need to write a compiler, e.g. it can generate LLVM
> bytecode files through the LLVM API.

My understanding is that the GSoC project was to use Lennart Augustsson's
llvm bindings that are on hackage.

However discussing the requirements for DDC with Ben Lippmeier I think
our needs may actually be better met with David Terei's LLVM interface.
Ben's objections to Lennart's bindings are:

  - Use of non Haskell 98 extensions which makes out bootstrapping
    problem more difficult.

  - It uses FFI rather than being pure Haskell code like David's.

  - It seems very imperative. It would be nicer for it to be an DDC
    core language AST to LLVM AST transformation followed by a pretty
    print stage to generate the LLVM IR code.

Cheers,
Erik