[Chart] Splitting gtk stuff into a separate package

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 07:05:58 GMT 2012

Hi Tim,

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Tim Docker <tim at dockerz.net> wrote:

> I'm fine with this. The reason I hadn't done it previously is that we have
> a dependency on cairo, and in my experience, gtk gets installed along with
> cairo. If some people find the gtk dependency a burden, then lets factor it
> out.
>
> Great, thanks. gtk actually isn't installed with cairo - I thought so too,
but it turned out to be not the case.

> chart-gtk sounds like a reasonable name for the package. Whilst it would
> be a separate item on hackage, I think we should keep it in the same darks
> repos for now.

How can this be achieved? I thought about having two .cabal files in one
directory, but apparently this is not possible (google multiple cabal files
in directory) and perhaps even not recommended - people are advising to
have separate repos, to keep it possible to independently darcs tag
particular cabal versions of the package.

> Tim
>
> PS: I enjoyed your post "On stream processing, and a new release of time
> plot coming" and the subsequent discussions on haskell cafe. When I have a
> change I will study your incremental processing code in a bit more detail.

Thanks! Actually I only very recently returned from vacations, and I
haven't read the things that other people have written into that thread,
which are apparently a lot more advanced than my modest (though working)
attempt.

> On 07/01/2012, at 7:18 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>
> > The Google Groups list is no longer being used as we now have a real
> > list from projects.haskell.org. Forwarding to this list.
> >
> > For what it's worth, this sounds like a fine idea to me.
> >
> > On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 18:57:42 +0400, Eugene Kirpichov <
> ekirpichov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I think it's worth cutting gtk-related stuff (all that depends on
> >> -fgtk) into a separate package for the following reasons:
> >>
> >> * building gtk bindings is horrendously slow, up to an hour or two
> >> with profiling, and it gets repeated if you mess something up
> >> (happened to me more than once). It's very good to eliminate this from
> >> a clean install of Chart.
> >>
> >> * on some platforms (eg the default amazon ec2 Ubuntu image) gtk
> >> carries a ton of dependencies which are also sometimes difficult to
> >> install and easy to mess up (I messed up my ec2 env so much that I
> >> surrendered)
> >>
> >> * usage of Chart without -fgtk is very common, so it's a completely
> >> orthogonal part and can be safely split out.
> >>
> >> I have actually completed the split on my machine, but I'll be able to
> >> send the patch only tomorrow.  In the meantime, please let me know
> >> what you think:
> >>
> >> * is this a good idea?
> >> * if yes, how would you like to name the gtk package? Is Chart-gtk fine?
> >> * do we need a new darcs repo for that package?

Eugene Kirpichov
Principal Engineer, Mirantis Inc. http://www.mirantis.com/
Editor, http://fprog.ru/