final path to 7.10.2...

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:08:43 BST 2015

Ah... well.... The GHC bindist includes all the haddock for the packages
that it comes with, as well as the composite index pages. The platform
includes the GHC bindist, as is, and hence you get the master index for GHC
packages on it's own. The platform then uses those haddock pages, but not
that index, and builds an composite index for both the GHC packages and the
platform packages.

It isn't haddock, but cabal that directs the location of the revised
composite index when installing packages. The situation is messy, but at
present, works for global, user, and sandbox installs - assuming the cabal
configuration is correct. On OS X, the installer supplies a cabal wrapper
that writes a default correct configuration in the users .cabal/config file.

tl;dr: It comes from GHC's bindist, and we generally treat that as
immutable.

- Mark