new build

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 05:59:15 GMT 2014

If you are intrepid, and want to see what I've been up to... I've just
pushed a very pre-alpha version of the new build system for Haskell
Platform to github:

https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform/tree/new-build

This is now a shake based build system that builds both the src tarball and
a local hermetic build of the packages from which OS installation files can
be built. It basically has all the machinery, but the "finishing polish" is
missing, as are details for OSes other than OS X. See the README for more.

My aim to achieve nearly a fully-automated build for the platform. This
will allow us to turn it much faster, as well as run build bots during the
development and release cycle. In particular, I hope that it will allow
versions of HP to be built that follow the development versions of GHC,
thus catching what needs updating sooner, rather than later.

Another aim is I plan to use this same tool to generate the web site pages
(via hastache templates), so that that can be up-to-date as well.

- Mark