package versions for 2012.2.0.0

Mark Lentczner mark at glyphic.com
Sun May 6 20:40:49 BST 2012

It is the aim of HP to get onto a very predictable schedule. As evidenced
by the note at Debian, staying on track is really important. I really want
this HP to come out in May, and as that means that we basically have to
have candidates ready within the next two weeks (if not one week), I don't
see how 7.4.2 is a possibility, unless it is shipping this week, there are
strong reasons to switch to it, and GHC believes it is a very solid release.

> I'd argue waiting for 7.4.2. There are some pretty nice fixes in
> there for some reasonably serious bugs.

That said, are these bug issues that existed in 7.0.4? If so, they were not
show stoppers then. Are they bugs that would impeded the average
developer's work? Keeping in mind that the audience of HP, are these bugs
things that should be show stoppers? Or, are they only bugs in recently
introduced features and won't affect the bulk of code? To give some
examples: A bug causing bad character encoding errors for normal IO on some
percentage of systems would be a show-stopper. A bug in class declarations
at the ghci prompt probably wouldn't be.

If there is argument that 7.4.1 isn't good enough to ship in HP, then we
must consider shipping 2012.2.0.0 with 7.0.4 as a serious option, over
waiting for 7.4.2.

In any event, I don't know what the bugs we're discussing are. Anyone?

 - Mark