Changes to GHC that will expose new packages

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Mar 22 21:16:32 GMT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 01:54:54PM -0700, David Terei wrote:
> On 22 March 2012 13:34, Mark Lentczner <mark at glyphic.com> wrote:
> > So the big change for Haskell Platform would be addition of haskeline,
> > terminfo & utf8-string into the platform.
> >
> > Am I right in thinking that this matters because other exposed packages that
> > come with GHC will export interfaces using types from these packages, right?
> > Because if not, then there would be no need to expose these - they could be
> > hidden.
>
> No they could be hidden. They would need to be included but not
> necessarily exposed if that makes a difference here.

We don't have a way to hide packages currently. We can mark them as
hidden in ghc's package database, but that makes no difference as far as
Cabal is concerned.

Also, are you sure they aren't visible in the interfaces? e.g. you don't
want to export anything with an InputT type, and the user won't even
want to use mtl's 'lift' or 'liftIO' functions?

Thanks
Ian