failure of GHC 7.0.4 on OS X

Mark Lentczner mark at glyphic.com
Sun Sep 18 00:51:03 BST 2011

In preparation for building the Haskell Platform 2011.3.0.0 installer for
Mac OS X, I've run into a snag: The GHC central distributed version of 7.0.4
can't produce running executables. The problem comes at final link time,
which fails with this message:

ld: pointer in read-only segment not allowed in slidable image, used in
___gmpn_modexact_1c_odd from
/Users/markl/Projects/platform/hp-mac/src/macos/dist/root/Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions/7.0.4-x86_64/usr/lib/ghc-7.0.4/integer-gmp-0.2.0.3/libHSinteger-gmp-0.2.0.3.a(mode1o.o)

I think what this means is that something about the built version of
HSinteger-gmp in the 7.0.4 distribution isn't compatible with code compiled
on my system. I'm running Xcode 3.2.3 on OS 10.7. Googling of this error
resulted in other projects having this problem with libgmp compilations, but
usually the issue was some conflict between macports versions of GMP vs. a
non-macports version. Was the 7.0.4 release built on a macports based build?

I'm guessing I'm going to have to build GHC 7.0.4 from source for the
Haskell Platform build.

I'm wondering - what are other people's experiences of using 7.0.4 on Mac OS
X.

- Mark