Haskell Platform 2011.4.0.0 rc2 on Mac

George Colpitts george.colpitts at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 20:11:21 GMT 2011

Mark, thanks for all your work on this. I had wanted a 64 bit Haskell
system for a while but hadn't tried the earlier experimental version and
thought I may as well try this.

I took the Haskell Platform 2011.4.0.0 rc2 on Mac from your link and
everything seems to work fine.

I used the uninstall on both my Macs before installing the new platform on
my Macs:

   - 32 bit Intel Core Duo system running 10.6.8
   - 64 bit Intel i5 system running 10.7.2 with Xcode 4.1

I installed 32 bit Haskell on the former and 64 bit on the latter. I'm a
bit surprised that there is no indication in the version information string
of whether you are running 32 bit or 64 bit Haskell but it is easy enough
to figure this out by using the shell file command on .o file produced by
ghc or typing "ghc --info"

I did most of my testing on the 64 bit system, installing hlint , then
running it on one of my programs and then running my program.

It's also not clear to me from the 7.0.4 users guide what the state of
compiling via C and llvm is on the Mac platform but this issue may not be
appropriate for this mailing list. If so please tell me the appropriate
mailing list and I will resend to it.

It seems that -fvia-C doesn't work by default on my 10.7.2 system but does
work on my 10.6.8 system. On 10.7.2:

ghc --make -fvia-C -O2 -fforce-recomp Euler.hs
[1 of 2] Compiling EulerData        ( EulerData.hs, EulerData.o )

<no location info>:
    Warning: -fvia-C is incompatible with -fPIC; ignoring -fvia-C

on the commandline:
    Warning: The -fvia-C flag will be removed in a future GHC release
[2 of 2] Compiling Euler            ( Euler.hs, Euler.o )

As gcc on my 10.6.8 system is gcc-4.2 I thought I would try gcc-4.2 on
10.7.2 by supplying gcc-4.2 as the value for pgmgcc in /usr/bin/ghc but
doing that gives the same result as above.

I don't have llvm installed on my system so I didn't really try that but
the error message I get when I try -fllvm on my 10.7.2 is similar to the
-fvia-C error message and indicates to me that it wouldn't work if I had
llvm which surprises me:

ghc --make -fllvm -O2 -fforce-recomp Euler.hs
[1 of 2] Compiling EulerData        ( EulerData.hs, EulerData.o )

<no location info>:
    Warning: -fllvm is incompatible with -fPIC and -dynamic on this
platform;
              ignoring -fllvm
[2 of 2] Compiling Euler            ( Euler.hs, Euler.o )

By contrast on my 10.6.8 system I get further and then get an error message
about unable to find "opt".