haskell platform steering committee...

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 02:47:30 EST 2010

(We need an email alias for the steering committee. Perhaps
hp-committee at haskell.org)

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> wrote:
> So as I mentioned in my recent reply to Bryan about the process, I
> think it would help if we, the committee members, took the active role
> in discussions that we originally intended. To do that I suggest that
> we assign a steering committee member to each new proposal when it is
> first proposed. It would be the responsibility of that committee
> member to do the various things set out in the proposal process
> document that we all wrote.
>
> Mainly that means making sure that objections etc are being recorded
> in the wiki (since long threads can be hard to track) and doing the
> call for consensus on specific issues. They could also act moderator
> if the discussions are getting off-topic and relieve a bit of pressure
> on the package author.

This sounds like a good idea.

> I think we should also re-emphasise the role of the package proposers,
> as distinct from the package author.

The tasks in the proposal process (e.g. tracking open issues) were
originally aimed at the proposer. Perhaps it will work a bit better if
a steering committee member takes over those tasks.

Johan