haskell-platform committee chair?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 15 06:43:09 EST 2010

On 15 December 2010 04:05, Isaac Dupree <ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org> wrote:
> On 12/14/10 11:01, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>>
>> On 14 December 2010 08:46, Isaac Dupree<ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Did anyone volunteer to be the chair yet, to dispatch proposals to committee
>>> members and generally keep a guiding eye on the libraries list?
>>>
>>> If not, I'm willing to volunteer.
>>
>> We didn't really discuss it yet, though I suspect it will not be
>> controversial. I would also be prepared to volunteer.
>
> Well, it needs to be done: there are around two-and-a-half proposals on the
> libraries list right now.  I'm going to take it on.  Expect a longer e-mail
> shortly.

Lets make a specific suggestion and ask the other committee members to
OK it (or make their own suggestions as appropriate).

1. That we have a haskell platform committee chairman, their task is
to keep an eye on tasks that the committee should attend to, e.g.
instigating discussions within the committee. Any member can still do
that but the chairman is there to make sure we don't drop the ball by
us all thinking someone else was looking after it. Suggest changing
the chairman annually.

2. That we set up a system to assign individual committee members to
specific platform proposals. They would act for the committee for that
specific proposal, as described in the current procedure for adding
packages [1]. The members should be listed on the proposals page [2]
with some explanitory text and an indication of who is assigned to
each proposal and who will be assigned next. We should also update the
procedure on adding packages [1] to make clear the slight change in
procedure. At the same time we should consider changing the
responsibility for some tasks (e.g. updating proposal wiki page) from
the proposal author to the assigned committee member.

[1]: http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/AddingPackages
[2]: http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Proposals

Note that item 1 we can just do. Since item 2 involves a change to the
policy, it'll need to be rubber stamped by the libraries list. At the
same time we can suggest that the committee take on the same
sheparding role for libraries proposals.

Duncan