Building editline on Windows

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 31 07:13:37 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 04:55 +0000, Mikhail Glushenkov wrote:
> Mikhail Glushenkov <the.dead.shall.rise at ...> writes:
>
> > Judging by the comments in ticket #44, the main
> > reason for it was API compatibility, but looking at GHC 6.10.2 docs, I
> > don't see System.Console.Editline appearing anywhere.
>
> This is true only for the Windows version; on Linux
> System.Console.Editline is there.

Ok, then I guess it's ok. ghc-6.10.1 and .2 did not ship editline. So we
don't need to bundle it to preserve compatibility. It means we've got a
slightly different package set but editline is not commonly used so it's
probably ok in practise.

In the future it'll be ok as they're all using haskeline and they've
adjusted the ghc build so that it doesn't get installed and registered,
it's just used when building the ghc executable. So no api worries.

So we'll bundle editline on non-Windows to preserve api compatability
with ghc-6.10.2. Not sure yet about the time package.

Duncan