Haskell Platform support in Gentoo

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Thu Jun 11 09:47:50 BST 2015

Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox at gentoo.org> writes:

> On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 18:09:52 +0300
> Alexander V Vershilov <alexander.vershilov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the current state of your Haskell Platform packaging effort?
>> We are hopefully going to have a Haskell Platform release within the
>> next couple of weeks. Would it be possible to push a new release soon
>> after this happens?
>
> We are usually trying to package haskell-platform almost as-is.
> Does not take more than some weeks at worst.
> https://wiki.haskell.org/Gentoo/HaskellPlatform can be extended a bit
> to cover both main gentoo tree and overlay. We also need to explain
> rationale of our deviations. And amount of deviations usually grows
> with time.
>
> Our deviations are usually to make most of overlay packages (~1500)
> compile (and ideally work) with recent GHC and with recent libraries.
> That's how we find bugs in upstream packages and speed up feedback
> loop to fix it.
> It is not something GHC/HP/hackage/PVP targets thus the tension points.
>
> Worst recent deviation example:
>     GHC-7.8.4 is turning 1.5 years old and bundles transformers-0.3
>     for ghc API. We've decided to experiment with upgrading
>     to transformers-0.4 when building GHC and that fixed a lot
>     of issues like doctest tests for packages requring transformers-0.4.
> But in other cases we are not that bad :)

Hopefully we won't have large gaps like this in the future, eliminating
the need for these types of experiments.

In your view how should we be instructing Gentoo users to get the
Haskell Platform? The current language [1] recommends "the more
up-to-date `gentoo-haskell` overlay" installed with `layman`. Feel free
to write some language to replace what I've written here and I'll be
happy to incorporate it.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] http://smart-cactus.org/~ben/website/download.html#linux-gentoo