MacPorts and Homebrew

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Jun 9 16:53:45 BST 2015

Do we have a plan for offering Haskell Platform packaging via MacPorts
or Homebrew? Some users regard these systems as Linux users
regard their distribution's package manager: they should be used if at
all possible. To quote a friend of mine,

> Also, the page should (if it doesn't) address the use of package managers.
> My default behavior would be `sudo port install ghc` and/or `sudo port
> install haskell-platform` assuming they are fairly up-to-date (they
> are). I generally seek a reason to break from my habits when looking
> at such pages. If haskell.org want people to download installers from
> their site instead of their own package manager, they should provide
> rationale.

It seems that Macports[1] port exists and appears to be maintained.

The Homebrew situation is a bit unfortunate: there used to be a package
but maintenance difficulties caused it to be dropped [2]. There has been
user interest in resolving this [3] but no one has stepped up to do so.
It sounds like the easiest way forward would be to write a formula with
homebrew-binary but sadly I lack a Mac with which to undertake this
endeavor.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/devel/haskell-platform/Portfile