xcode 5 psa info on haskell platform page

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 19:54:40 GMT 2013

for 1) I thought the changes were to *DETECT* if the C compiler is actually
clang or gcc (at GHC invocation time), and then pass the appropriate flags
as needed, so that it will work correctly even if I (daftly) rotate between
gcc and clang.

 Once corner case I think we want to cover, is not just "only using xcode 4
or xcode 5" but also "updating from xcode 4 to xcode 5". The Clang wrapper
isn't quite robust/ for that, and doing  that outside of GHC is extra work,
because GHC 7.8 Should be able to handle that. so i'm against that.

Mark,  theres also OS X 10.9 SPECIFIC issues that have to be changed,
because the signals etc that OS X 10.9 provides are different in 1-2 cases,
eg I think Austin just committed a patch a day or so ago that deals with
getting the "page size" info correctly for 10.9, which is kinda crucial for
the runtime system!  Basically theres issues with just doing the wrapper
hack, and theres corner cases it just flatout doesn't address.

that said, I could be completely wrong, but thats my .00002 cents