xcode 5 psa info on haskell platform page

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 19:18:07 GMT 2013

I've reviewed all the changes in that branch - and they seem to fall into
two categories:

1) Changes the flags that ghc passes to whatever it thinks is gcc, so that
they work with clang.
2) Changes to ghc source so that clang can compile it.

For the platform, we don't care about #2 - we don't ship the GHC source,
and we don't expect platform users to build it.

Items in #1 look to my eye like they are covered by the wrapper script (or
some equivalent that we can build with it). What's more, the changes in #1
seem to rely on the idea that GHC was built knowing whether it will be used
with gcc or with clang. This seems undesirable to me (at least for now),
insofar as there will be people running Xcode 4 for the foreseeable future,
and I'd really rather not have to produce variants of GHC or HP just to
support Xcode 4 vs. 5.

I don't see anything in those changes that handles the fact that gcc is
hard coded into hsc2hs, though I might be misunderstanding that issue.

So - looks to me like a bash script wrapper, and redirecting ghc's settings
is still the best option.

Am I missing anything?

- Mark