binary in HP

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 15:06:36 GMT 2013

I'd be pretty reluctant to either ship two versions of a GHC boot package,
or rebuild a GHC release with a different boot package version, in the HP.
Either would create a situation which I don't think any of us would be
confident is stable or a "sure thing". The first would create a really bad
"cabal-hell" trap (which is really a version constraint hell, not sure why
cabal takes the fall...). The second would lead to a situation where a bug
down the road would be come a tar-ball (in the bad sense) to unravel and
fix.

This is perhaps a good moment to reiterate that Haskell Platform exists to
create a clear, stable, "it just works", and "you can count on it"
distribution - and so by construction does not generally contain the latest
hotness.

- Mark