Windows installer 2012.4.0.0 RC1

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 19:24:31 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Mikhail Glushenkov <
the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does this install the 32bit or 64bit version of GHC? For that matter, I
> > can't find where it's documented which version of GHC you're shipping.
>
> Only 32-bit, since 2012.4.0.0 still uses GHC 7.4.2.
> The package spec is available here:
>
> https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform/blob/pre-release/haskell-platform.cabal

Thanks. I wasn't sure where to find that.

> >>    * All libraries (except OpenGL and GLUT) are now built with
> >> --enable-shared
> >

> > I don't recall hearing about this. OpenGL and GLUT now have bug trackers
> if
> > you'd like to register a bug, although I think the HP is using outdated
> > versions of those packages:
>
> I bumped into it just yesterday. Maybe it's fixed in the newer
> releases - I'll have to test.

If you test this, please let me know what you learn.

> > When testing with the 64bit version of GHC on windows I've been unable to
> > get ghc to recognize glut32.dll. Something to keep in mind when the 64bit
> > support is working better. It's also a package I'd like to deprecate in
> > favor of GLFW-b (no official word on that yet though).
>
> Hopefully that gets fixed before the next HP release. Otherwise we'll
> maybe need to call the x64 version "experimental".

Agreed.

> > One of the listed issues: No documentation for the GLUT library. Haddock
> > fails on it for some reason.
> >
> > I received a patch for that today and it's already been applied, but that
> > version is not on hackage yet.
>
> Nice. Would it be possible to backport this patch?

It may be possible to backport this. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as it
should be. I believe the version of the OpenGL libraries in the platform
are before the low-level bindings were factored out of the high level
packages. This means that I don't know if the the release that needs the
backport is even in the repository history.