package versions for 2012.2.0.0

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sun May 13 13:39:19 BST 2012

Mark Lentczner wrote:
> [ ] mtl and transformers -- stick with 2.0 & 0.2 or move ahead to 2.1 and
> 0.3?
>     -- I don't know enough of the issues to make a call here

About transformers:

Version 0.3.0.0 is designed (by Johan, thanks!) to be
backward compatible. So all that is required is a
bump of some cabal deps. However, there may be
a number of those bumps required, and that in turn
would require further HP version bumps on all of
those packages. So what we would need done is:

1. Find out exactly which HP packages would need
a transformers version bump in their cabal files.
2. Verify that each of those indeed still builds and
works with just the version bump and no other change.
If not (unlikely), figure out what needs to be fixed.
3. Contact each package maintainer and convince
them to push to hackage a new version with the
bumped transformers version, *pronto*.
4. Integration - re-verify that *all* of the above has been
done without error and everything works.

That's actually quite a lot to do if we want to release
a platform by end of month. So I would say: if
someone wants to take this on (unfortunately can't
be me) and makes significant progress within the
next couple of days, then we have a chance.
Otherwise, we'll need to stick with 0.2.*.

Thanks,
Yitz