[Fwd: OSX installer -- first draft]

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:31:43 EDT 2009

>> Is this a universal binary, or Intel-only?
>
> Intel-only, I believe :(.  I have no idea how I'd even begin to build
> universal binaries for this stuff, nor do I have a non-intel machine to
> build it on.
>
> Once I get the installer procedure perfected, perhaps you could
> volunteer to build that version of the package?

For a universal binary, for the moment I believe we'd need to have two
copies of GHC installed, one for ppc and the other for intel, and then
we'd need to use the lipo utility (it's used for operating on "fat"
mach-o files, try man lipo on any 10.4+ mac) manually to join all the
produced binaries together. It's possible but I look forward to the
day when GHC supports cross-compilation so we can generate PPC and
intel code using a single compiler.

I can definitely help out on this in a few days, but an upcoming
deadline on Friday prevents me from being much use before the weekend
or next week.

Dan