Final word on OpenAL?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 19:26:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 19:58 +0200, Sven Panne wrote:
> [ resending mail because of some strange Postfix error message ]
>
> Am Donnerstag, 30. April 2009 19:19:54 schrieb Don Stewart:
> > We definitely want to avoid a culture of "packing in bug fixes and
> > features" prior to release, though, as that's a recipe for new bugs!
>
> I fully understand this, but due to the extremely poor communication of the
> schedule, this is a far better option than shipping something which has non-
> trivial bugs.

I was thinking why it was that we didn't think to contact the package
maintainers. I guess the reason is because we didn't want them to do
anything.

Now that you point it out of course it's obvious that we should have
contacted them all and said explicitly that there is nothing that we
want them to do. To say that we've picked released versions of their
packages and that they will be able to get updates into the next minor
and major releases (for bug fixes and features/changes respectively).
That would have avoided giving the false hope that it was still possible
to get changes in.

Something for us to learn for next time.

Duncan