[haskell-llvm] pkg-config for LLVM-3.2

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Sun May 19 21:58:25 BST 2013

Sure, but as Nathan mentioned, and as the ticket Nathan linked to
indicates, these bugs are gone in ghc head and thus soon ghc 7.8

Cleaning up the configure and build scripts would be great, I merely
suggest you use a ghc head / ghci head build to test the ghci stuff.  There
is fundamentally no nonfragile/portable work around to the problems arising
from current ghci having its own special unique custom linker.  Ghci in
head uses the system linker and does not have these problems.

I will test using ghci head and llvm myself in a few weeks once I have more
time, and I emphatically think that any work needed to make ghci 7.8 not
have linker loader problems is worth doing.

Point being: llvm hs not working with ghci version 7.6.* or lower is a
ghc/ghci problem that has no good solution. Any solution would likely be
fragile and break on different oses

If llvm HS doesn't work with ghci head (version >= 7.7 as of the past month
or two ), that is a bug that I am happy to work with ghc hq to resolve,
whether its on the ghc or llvm HS side.

I want llvm HS to work in ghci too, but I do not see a way that works
robustly being feasible that doesn't entail using ghci head / version >=7.7
 .

And by robustly I mean I want to be able to have libraries that internally
use llvm to be easy to install on any platform that has a recent llvm, and
requires no end user fiddliness. Messing with fpic and other things has
implications that can mess with how you can use code in unexpected ways.

I'm actually wrestling with a mini version of this problem in some other
software in working on and it's a time consuming challenge even if you're
authoring both the c and Haskell sides, let alone writing a binding for a
massive project like llvm.