[haskell-llvm] Towards 0.10

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Jul 14 08:50:45 BST 2011

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> I did a bunch of work tonight to clean the project up into a more usable
> state.
>  *  It now builds correctly against LLVM 2.8 and 2.9.
>  *  Compiled programs work under 2.9, which had not been the case.
>  *  I removed some Haskell code that was duplicating C++ code (the cause of
>     the crashes under 2.9).
> I'd like to release 0.10.0.0 reasonably soon - if you have changes you want
> to get in, please let me know.

Does it work with GHCi?

I think calling the optimization functions of LLVM directly is a good
thing, in order to stay in sync with LLVM's functionality. It seems you
managed to mix Haskell code with C++. Do you know whether this reduces
portability?

I long wanted to call some more functions of LLVM, that are not exposed
via the C interface to LLVM. E.g. I wanted to call Target and SubTarget
determination in order to insert processor specific optimizations for
vector processing. Currently I use the 'cpuid' package for this, but this
only works if the code is compiled for the machine I am currently running
on. Asking LLVM for the target is the clean way.