[haskell-llvm] Limitation of API - omissions or design?

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 22:18:25 EST 2010

I tried to use Haskell + LLVM binding to it to write university
compilers assignment and I run into some problems with API:

 - Many functions are non-existing or not exported. For example it seems
to be not possible to create array containing other things that 0 and -1
other then String. The constOf function is also not exported.
 - Higher API enforces type safety, which is good thing if one uses LLVM
to DSL - however if LLVM is used as backend it causes problems as I
don't know types at compile time and checking is part of other part of
code. GADTs allows workaround problem but
 - Higher API cannot jump into lower API for a few instructions but uses
all-or-nothing approach. Normally it would be good thing if not the
previous problems.

Regards