[Chart] Chart Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Tim Docker tim at dockerz.net
Tue May 14 14:25:02 BST 2013

On 14/05/13 21:14, Sacha Sokoloski wrote:

> I also wrote up an 'animatePlot' function that allows me to simulate
> 2d systems, and I can draw 40/50 fps of fairly complicated layouts and
> grids no problem. I still also have a contour plot algorithm lying
> around. I would be happy to integrate these things into chart at some
> point, but maybe it would make more sense until we know what's going
> on with this diagrams backend?

Up to you really - I'm hoping that, if it goes ahead, the abstraction of
the backend can be done with only superficial changes to the existing
code.  So there's no real reason to delay other new features.

> Finally, I'm excited to see that chart is migrating to lenses. Seems
> like a natural move.

I'm not committed to changing from the existing accessor library to
lenses (yet). The lens library is a big dependency. It also seems quite
polarising - some people love it, others are quite negative. I'm tempted
to observe it's uptake more broadly before committing to the change.

> Can I put to vote one cosmetic change since the lens change would
> require some basic refactoring anyway? I'm not fond of the naming
> convention 'plot_lines_title'. Would anyone else simply prefer
> 'plotLinesTitle'?

Name changes like this cause work for library users. However I'm not
averse to it if there's a strong majority in favour.

Thanks for the kind words.

Tim