[Chart] Chart Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Sacha Sokoloski sacha404 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 12:14:58 BST 2013

This is great news! I was toying with the idea of something like this,
but knew I would never have time. I've recently written my master's
thesis in machine learning and control theory, and used haskell for all
the programming, and charts for all the plotting. People are nothing but
impressed by the quality of the plots that chart produces. They truly
look fantastic. Thanks Tim!

I also wrote up an 'animatePlot' function that allows me to simulate 2d
systems, and I can draw 40/50 fps of fairly complicated layouts and
grids no problem. I still also have a contour plot algorithm lying
around. I would be happy to integrate these things into chart at some
point, but maybe it would make more sense until we know what's going on
with this diagrams backend?

Finally, I'm excited to see that chart is migrating to lenses. Seems
like a natural move. Can I put to vote one cosmetic change since the
lens change would require some basic refactoring anyway? I'm not fond of
the naming convention 'plot_lines_title'. Would anyone else simply
prefer 'plotLinesTitle'?

I think there's a lot of demand for good scientific packages in haskell.
Chart is already a great library, it's only not as full featured as it
could be, and there are still some lingering issues. Integrating it with
diagrams I think is a great step to integrating it as a core haskell
library.

Regards,

  - Sacha

P.S.: I only just got this message on the 14th of May.