[NumericPrelude] multivariate polynomials

Lewis-Sandy, Darrell darrelll at amgen.com
Mon Jun 21 17:00:17 EDT 2010

Exactly right!   The multivariate polynomials in my problem domain are generally sparse in their monomial exponents.

Now that I have had a chance to read your comments and read through the library, I agree with your assessment of how my multivariate polynomial type could be implemented within your framework.   I think we may have been stumbling over nomenclature.  What I have been using the notation referring to as a monomial is a finite product of invariants x1^n1 x2^n2 .. xk ^ nk (sometimes referred to as the power product), and terms of the polynomial are coefficient/power product pairs.   I am aware that what I have been referring to as terms are also referred to (with equal frequency) as monomials. To avoid future confusion, I will adopt nomenclature consistent with your established convention.

Darrell