HCAR 2013-10

Jakub Waszczuk waszczuk.kuba at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 16:50:45 BST 2013

Hi all,

I've been working on a few NLP packages recently, I hope some of them are
worth mentioning in the HCAR report:

concraft
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/concraft
Concraft is a morphological disambiguation library designed for
highly-inflectional languages.  It is based on conditional random fields
extended with additional, position-wise restrictions on the output domain,
which are used to impose consistency between the modeled label sequences
and morphosyntactic analysis results [Waszczuk-2012].  So far I have
developed a morphosyntactic tagging tool for the Polish language which
relies on the Concraft library (available at
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/concraft-pl) and I hope I will be able
to adapt it to some other languages in the near future as well.
[Waszczuk-2012] Jakub Waszczuk. Harnessing the CRF complexity with
domain-specific constraints. The case of morphosyntactic tagging of a
highly inflected language. In Proceedings of the 24th International
Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING 2012).

nerf
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/nerf
The package provides a named entity (NE) recognition tool which can be used
to model tree-like structures of NEs.  It combines the IOB encoding method
(used to translate between the original, forest representation of NEs and
the sequence of atomic labels) with the sequence labeler based on
linear-chain conditional random fields.

dawg
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dawg
The library implements directed acyclic word graphs internally represented
as minimal acyclic deterministic finite-state automata.  It provides fast
insert and delete operations which can be used to build the automaton
on-the-fly and a static hashing functionality.  The library can be
particularly useful to store language dictionaries (e.g. morphological
dictionaries or resources of named entities).  The implementation is not
very efficient at the moment, but it provides a convenient map-like
interface and should be easy to use.

Best,
Kuba