announce: minimorph - cheap/dirty English spelling

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 06:10:52 BST 2012

Hey Haskell NLP,

We [Computational Linguistics][cl] are working an project to build an interactive textbook, using Haskell NLG components to generate English text from an ontology.

I'd to release a couple of our components as general purpose libraries on Hackage. The first is minimorph, a handful of silly utility functions for guessing the spelling for words we don't have in our lexicon (so if you ask the plural of “patch”, it says “patches”; if you ask it for “thesis”, it says “theses”). These functions don't make any effort to do things the right way or deal with ambiguities/exceptions/interesting cases. My excuse is that they're meant to be placeholder functions that you can get started using immediately until you have time to pick up a fancier package.

You can cabal install it.  See http://hackage.haskell.org/package/minimorph

Thanks,

Eric

PS. I have another spin-out package I'm working on, which I hope will be a bit less embarrassing to talk about! But I'd better not make too much noise about it until I actually manage to get the pieces together

[cl]: http://computational-linguistics.com/
[aura]: http://www.ai.sri.com/project/aura

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>