High-precision arithmetic for calculating N-gram probabilities

David Hall dlwh at cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Oct 16 20:18:22 BST 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Dan Maftei <ninestraycats at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Wren and David. Here is what I gleamed so far:
> 1 Standard practice is to use Doubles for probabilities. Is the main reason
> for this because the small precision loss isn't worth reclaiming by using
> more complicated types? Further, do we often sum probabilities in NLP? If
> so, Ratios are a bad idea, due to many gcd calls. But if our only
> manipulation is multiplication, Ratios will not suffer a performance hit.

That's right. Summing is very common because that's how you get
marginal probabilities. I don't have much experience with rationals.

> 2 I'm unclear what log (_ + 1) and exp (_ - 1) refer to, or what is
> inaccurate about the standard log and exp functions. Same goes for what a
> and b represent in logSum (== a + log(1+ exp(b-a)). If I want to multiply
> probabilities, I use exp $ foldl' (+) 0 (map log probs), which is equivalent
> to foldl' (*) 1 probs. Is there something inaccurate or incorrect about
> that? NB: the probability of a large text is intractable, since foldl' (+) 0
> (map log probs) gives an exponent in the thousands. However, the perplexity
> of said text is computable, it just defers the exp function till after we
> multiply the log sums by -1/N: exp $ negate (1 / n) * logSums.

log(_ + 1) just means--it looks pretty Scala-y to me ;)--the log of
some double + 1. 1 + (small double) is basically 1, and so the naive
implementation of log(_ + 1) would be 0, or nearly so. a and b are
just doubles representing (possible unnormalized) log probabilities.

But in reality, log(1 + small double) is close to the small double.
Thus, you should log1p as a better approximation.

Don't call that logSums, call them sumOfLogs, or something. logSums
refers to the log of the sum of the probabilities, which is something
like log $ foldl (+) 0.0 (map (\p -> exp ( p - (foldl1 max logProbs)))
logProbs)

As for your examples, exp $ foldl' (+) 0 (map log probs) is fine,
except, as you pointed out, exp'ing will typically go poorly. foldl'
(*) 1 probs is of course only identical in the world of infinite
precision reals.

> 3 I am still unsure how to neatly randomize output, given the inaccuracy of
> Doubles (I have a working function but it requires a guard which is only
> necessary due to Double imprecision). David gave "2 * abs(high -  low)/(high
> + low) <= epsilon", but I can't figure what the high and low refer to, or
> where to get that epsilon from. Isn't it machine-dependent? If not, I could
> use the value Wiki for double precision types, 1.11e-16.

Err, maybe I should have said "tolerance" instead of epsilon. high and
low are just poorly named variables. x and y may have been better.
That code basically says "ensure that the absolute difference between
x and y is small relative to their average"

epsilon/tolerance is your choice, 1E-6 is usually fine. 1E-4 is ok if
you're feeling sloppy.

-- David