osx install fail

Hamish Mackenzie hamish at firestream.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 20:23:22 EDT 2009

2009/7/24 erik flister <erik.flister at gmail.com>

> macbook pro intel, osx 10.5.7
>
> using the .dmg gets as far as launching the start dialog that lets you
> select haskell source directories.  after that it dies, and subsequent
> attempts to launch just die (icon bounces in doc for a while, then
> disappears).

The first time it runs Leksah indexes all your source so it can take some
time (even if it is only looking in .hi files).  It can take some time.
 Unfortunately it currently writes progress and errors to the console. Can
you please try again, but launch Leksah from a terminal window with...

/Applications/Leksah.app/Contents/MacOS/Leksah

> so, i tried to build using cabal.  my first hurdle was figuring out
> that one needs ige-mac-integration from macports.  this requires
> installing gtk2 and cairo with the +no_x11 +quartz variants.
>
> however, cabal won't see ige-mac-integration for some reason, and has
> to be run with
> --extra-include-dirs=/opt/local/include/igemacintegration
> --extra-lib-dirs=/opt/local/lib
>
> then, cabal fails with:
> src/IDE/Leksah.hs:37:7-13:
>    Could not find module `IDE.OSX':
>
> and indeed, if you unpack
> ~/.cabal/packages/hackage.haskell.org/leksah/0.6.1/leksah-0.6.1.tar.gz
> there is no OSX.hs in src/IDE/
>
> however, that file is present here:
> http://code.haskell.org/leksah/src/IDE/

Oops not sure how that happened.  I'll try to make sure it is in the next
one.

runhaskell Setup build compiles 56/56 modules OK, but then a linker failure:

ld: library not found for -lgtk-x11-2.0

> gtk2 in macports has libgtk-x11-2.0, but it is deactivated in favor of
> libgtk-quartz-2.0 by the +no_x11 variant.  so i went back and switched
> the variants of cairo and gtk2.  this allowed the build to succeed,
> but still gave the linker warnings:

Do you think gtk2hs might be built against the x11 variant of GTK?  Can you
try rebuilding that with the quartz variant active?