iteratee FileOffset of data read with s

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:41:58 GMT 2012

Hello,

(Apologies for the fairly unstructured reply)

You can take the approach I do in sndfile-enumerators, which creates a
dictionary of embedded enumerators.  Each dict entry stores the chunk
length and an enumerator to use for that chunk (wave chunk), e.g.

> data WAVEDEENUM =
>   WENDUB (forall a m. (MonadCatchIO m, Functor m) =>
>     MEnumeratorM2 (Vector Word8) (Vector Double) m a)
>
> type MEnumeratorM2 sfrom sto m a = Iteratee sto m a -> Iteratee sfrom m (Iteratee sto m a)

the code to create the enumerator looks like
>   WENDUB (\iter_dub -> do
>     I.seek (8 + fromIntegral offset)
>     let iter = convStream (convFunc fmt) iter_dub
>     joinI . takeUpTo count $ iter)

It works reasonably well, however this is all a bit aside from the
point of seeking through enumeratees, which unfortunately is a
slightly messy process.

There are a couple (conflicting?) cases to be accounted for.  I've
always been inspired by Oleg's design, which has the handle/fd
enumerator keep track of the stream position, and never exposes it to
an iteratee.  Extending that further, I don't think you need the
Offset wrapper at all, but there are at least two good reasons why you
may want to keep it.

You can use a function like this:

> convSeek1
>   :: (Monad m, Nullable s)
>   => Iteratee s m s'
>   -> Integer    -- ^ Offset
>   -> Rational  -- ^ Conversion ratio
>   -> Enumeratee s s' m a

With this and support for relative seeking you'd get everything the
"Offset a" type gives you, with one notable exception.  It would be
more difficult to get access to the current offset.  I like this
design, but that's a very big drawback.

Of course, you'll need something like "convSeek1" to support seeking
forward whenever the conversion ratio isn't 1-1.  And there's no
reason you couldn't use "convSeek1" with the Offset wrapper as well.

If the conversion ratio isn't fixed (e.g. decoding bytes to Unicode)
it gets messier.  You can only reliably seek back within the current
chunk (provided that it exists somewhere up the chain), and forward
seeking really can't be done at all except via dropping chunks.

John