Haskell Platform support in Gentoo

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Jun 9 09:59:05 BST 2015

Alexander V Vershilov <qnikst at gentoo.org> writes:

> Hi, Ben.

Hi Alexander!

Thanks for the quick reply.

> It appears that due to the official procedure it takes a large amount of time
> to stabilize platform. We are trying to have latest platform in tree as soon
> as it is available, and stabilization take a large amount of time to get it
> stabilized, actually it alway happens right before next version of platform
> came out.

We can also suggest that users use the gentoo-haskell overlay as
suggested in the Wiki, if this would help reduce the release turnaround
time.

In fact, we are currently putting together a new download page. Perhaps
you could read over the Gentoo installation instructions and suggest any
changes you would like to see made.

> My personal opinion:
> It appeared that haskell-platform is not the easiest way to keep
> versions in source based distros and actually provide more breakage
> then help. As a result we have introduced a @haskell-platform set, this
> is basically a way to install all packages that goes in platform but with
> less restrictions on versions. And for experienced users it's easier to install
> that or don't use platform at all.
> //end of my personal opinion

I can see how this might be the case. Regarding the haskell-platform
ebuild, as far as I can tell there are only lower bounds on the included
libraries. I think it would be wise to at least upper bound the major
version.

Mark, what are your thoughts on this? I have seen a few distributions
providing "Haskell Platform" releases that place rather loose bounds on
the included libraries. It seems this could come back to bite us at some
point.

> 1. It's possible to introduce haskell-plaform in main tree in a days after
>     release will happen and have it with exact constrains that it has upstream.
>     So this will allow h-p users to have that.
> 2. Main tree is better place to have vanilla platform
> 3. I think we can update wiki to have that information and also add
> link to haskell
>     wiki (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Haskell)

Great!

Cheers,