A modest proposal (re the Platform)

George Colpitts george.colpitts at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 01:35:49 GMT 2014

Given that the Haskell platform page now documents what Mac X code 5 users
need to do after installing the current HP release,  2013.4.0.0 isn't going
to be a big advance on HP 2013.2.0.0 which is based on GHC 7.6.3 . As you
said why waste our limited finite resources if it isn't going to give us
something significant.

I don't understand comments of the form, we haven't had an HP Platform for
x months so we need one. If the comment was: I'm not a power user and with
the current platform I can't do Y which we will get with a new Platform I'd
understand. I don't see the point of releasing a new Platform version every
X months if it doesn't add significant capability or fix significant bugs.

7.8 is going to have significant new functionality as detailed in this
thread. Much of the new functionality coming with 7.8 will fix long
outstanding problems and bugs, e.g see the thread  [Haskell-cafe] Poll &
plea: State of GUI & graphics libraries in Haskell.  Given the choice
between a new HP platform still based on GHC 7.6.3 or a later one based on
7.8 I version I vote for waiting for a 7.8 based Platform