Haskell Platform 2014.2.0.0: Linux installation

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 15:56:50 BST 2014

Thanks for your report on the release!

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Travis Cardwell <
travis.cardwell at extellisys.com> wrote:

> 1. I do not think that installing into /usr/local/haskell is good
> organization

It was my pick... and I recognize there is no good, universally accepted
place, to put such things short of mixing them into the
/usr/local/{bin,lib,share} trees.

> 2. The new Haskell Platform build
> system is hard-coded with the ghc-x.y.z-arch convention

This convention seems to be permeating the Haskell ecosystem. In
particular, the new cabal layouts use it. I decided to keep it. Including
the architecture is nice for those developers that want to keep both 32-bit
and 64-bit installed for testing. The melding of the platform with the ghc
space was because it really isn't possible to replace one keeping the
other, and others didn't like the complication of two trees (though that is
what we have on OS X).

> 3. The activate-hs script creates symbolic links as well as registers
> packages. ... Would it be a good idea to make the symbolic link creation
> optional?

Sure. Pull requests welcome!

> Another option would be to let users link local packages themselves using
> GNU Stow.  A benefit of using GNU Stow is that it supports unlinking,
> allowing users to easily uninstall linked, local packages.

I wouldn't want to rely on that as I don't think one could expect it to be
in most linux distributions base package set.

- Mark