[Haskell-cafe] ANN: haskell-src-exts-1.15.0

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Mon Apr 14 07:32:25 BST 2014

<d00nibro at chalmers.se>
Bcc:
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] ANN: haskell-src-exts-1.15.0

* Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> [2014-04-14 13:41:44+1000]
> On 14 April 2014 07:33, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:
>
> > I'm pleased to announce the release of haskell-src-exts-1.15.0!
> >
> > Hackage: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/haskell-src-exts-1.15.0
> > GitHub:  https://github.com/haskell-suite/haskell-src-exts
> >

> Hi platformers,
>
> what's the process to get haskell-src-exts into the platform, preferably
> replacing haskell-src?

I don't think haskell-src-exts satisfies the stability requirements of the platform.

E.g. there are a few breaking changes that'll probably go into the next release.

Besides, the AST necessarily changes constantly due to the evolution of the
language itself.

OTOH, I've just had a look at http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/AddingPackages,
and it doesn't mention stability at all.

It's really up to the platform people to decide whether you want a Haskell
parser in HP, and what the requirements for it should be. Just wanted to clarify
that bit, so that it doesn't come as a surprise.

> I'm the nominal (inactive-unless-prodded) maintainer of haskell-src. It
> hasn't had any updates in years other than cabal bounds, and it's unlikely
> to ever support any recent ghc extensions. I don't think we should be
> promoting haskell-src for new projects at all.

Agreed.

Roman