gearing up for HP 2012.2.0.0

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Fri May 4 07:28:05 BST 2012

Folks, it's time for HP 2012.2.0.0. I'll be your release manager this
round, so sit up, get out those compilers and start building....

Actually, here's what I'm planning:

This weekend (May 5-6)

   1. Triage the bug
list,<http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/report/1>It would be
great if you have bugs there (by you, for you, or of interest
   to you), if you'd check and update the info in the next few days.
   2. Prepare a trial-balloon package and version list. If you have
   specific requests, send 'em to me. I don't think we are anticipating any
   additions or drops this time 'round... though I understand that OpenGL may
   be a bit of problem. Any other package/version issues?

Beyond a blessed list of versions, HP is of course "ready to wear"
software, which is needs to get built and distributed for a variety of OS
platforms. If you are helping / wrangling / doing the heavy lifting for a
particular platform, please:

   1. Add yourself to the bottom section of the members
page<http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Members>on the
wiki.
   2. Please get familiar with the new repo location on
GitHub<https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform>
   .
   3. Please think about getting your build procedure automated,
   documented, and in the repo. See, for example the
README<https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform/blob/master/src/macos/README>and
   Makefile<https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform/blob/master/src/macos/Makefile>for
the mac build. Even where there are manual steps required (thank you
   Package Maker), the Makefile walks the builder though it.
   4. Please let us/me know if there is any major planned change to the
   packaging. For example, last time I wrote an uninstaller for the Mac. This
   took some time, and I'd like to know what we're up against this time.
   (Speaking of which... anyone want to look at that
uninstaller<https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform/blob/master/src/macos/UninstallHS.hs>and
consider generalizing it to other OS platforms?)

I'm aiming for us to have this one out by the end of May. In the imortal
words of the Red Power Ranger: "Let's do this!"

 - Mark "mzero" Lentczner