Changes to GHC that will expose new packages

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Mar 26 08:39:29 BST 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:48, Mark Lentczner <mark at glyphic.com> wrote:
[...]
> * I suppose that in some distros there is tension between ghc package
> manegment and the host OS's package manager: If you want to have a distro
> package for thing A that requires haskell package B, then B needs to be
> distro'd in a host package. If B moves from one distro package (haskell-b)
> to another (ghc, say), then yes the dependencies are a problem. But this
> strikes me as a problem of the interplay between two package systems, and I
> don't know that we can have a good solution that works in all cases here.

I see that as only a minor problem.  Most package managers seem to
support the notion of aliases for packages, so moving a package, say
mtl, from its own package into the package from ghc is straight
forward.

No, the main issue as I see it is the tying of mtl's release schedule
to the release schedule of ghc, i.e. I can not upgrade the mtl offered
for ArchLinux separately from ghc (without considerable effort on my
part).

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org