release schedule and Linux distros

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Thu Jun 7 10:46:29 BST 2012

Jens Petersen:

> I think at least Ubuntu and Fedora are basically on time-based release
schedules. ...
> [I]t would be advantageous for the Haskell community using Linux systems
if
> the Platform schedule could be made better for Linux users

I see no need for the ' using Linux systems' qualification here -- surely
everybody benefits from a better-coordinated release
schedule.

Assuming the Ubuntu release cycle fits with the Fedora release cycle, is
there any reason not to do what Jens is proposing? These being the principle
mass-market Linux distros it makes sense to target these, and the MacOS and
Windows releases don't appear to have any external co-ordination points.

What's not to like!

(There are a few assumptions here -- please correct if any look iffy.)

I don't understand the change that is being proposed with the source/binary
releases. Because the MacOS and Windows binary releases can be matched with
the general release doesn't it make good sense for them to coordinate their
binary releases around the general platform release -- as long as we have
the good fortune to have the release people capable and willing to do this.

Chris