OpenGL situation needs resolving

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Dec 14 09:16:39 GMT 2012

Dear Platformers,

for an upcoming talk of mine about Haskell I wanted to use the Gloss
library, a very nice vector graphics library for beginners:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gloss

Unfortunately, it requires the latest major release of OpenGL, which is
not in the platform. To install Gloss on top of the current platform,
I’d have to go back to gloss-1.0.0.0 from 2,5 years ago.

If libraries on hackage begin to explicitly exclude the versions of
packages shipped in the platform, the platform is not fulfilling its
promise. So I guess OpenGL needs either to be updated in the platform,
or removed.

(If this was discussed already and a solution is upcoming, then sorry
for the noise.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--